Communication is the most complex human skill. It is the way we understand the world, express ourselves as individuals, make choices, develop relationships, build trust and control our lives. In this module, the renowned speech and language specialist, Sue Thurman, provides a comprehensive and straightforward introduction to the subject.
This module features presentations from a range of leading professionals and self-advocates, including Dave Hingsburger, Lynda Kahn, Kathie Snow, Jack Pearpoint, Simon Haywood, Brad Goldman, Steve Dymond, and Margaret Cushen.
On successful completion of this module, learners will be able to:
- Define communication.
- Describe the personal, social, and physical barriers to communication and the potential impact of these barriers.
- Explain the importance of communication.
- Understand the different ways people can communicate, including without words and your role in using the different forms of communication.
- Describe in detail a wide variety of approaches that use alternative and augmentative communication.
- Define how you can use your role to support good communication.